Sunday, March 19, 2006

The sweet embrace of death


"She shivers in the wind like the last leaf on a dying tree. I let her hear my footsteps. She only goes stiff for a moment .



- Care for a smoke?

- Sure, I'll take one. Are you as bored by that crowd as I am?

- I didn't came here for the party. I came here for you. I've watched you for days. You're everything a man could ever want. But it's not just your face, your figure or you're voice...It's your eyes. All the things I see in your eyes.

- What is it you see in my eyes?

- I see a crazy calm. You're sick of running. You're ready to face what you have to face. But you don't want to face it alone.

- No, I don't want to face it alone.

The wind rises, electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is a sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right. That I'll save her from whatever she's scared of and take her far, far away. I tell her I love her.


The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.


The Man

(sin city)

No comments: